It is recommended that areas of high use should be maintained with oil periodically. The frequency of maintenance will depend on the usage of the floor. For example, a busy kitchen-diner in a family home or a room with heavy foot traffic and external doorways may need more regular attention perhaps once a year.
Where-as areas with less daily use, more internal rooms without regular external foot traffic such as living rooms and bedrooms may only occasionally need maintaining with oil.
Initial Maintenance (Optional)
An initial application of maintenance oil is recommended after installation for busy kitchens and communal areas subject to high traffic and more frequent damp cleaning.
Application of maintenance oil is recommended every 6-12 months for busy kitchens and communal areas subject to high traffic and more frequent damp cleaning. Frequency for required oil maintenance will depend on use and how the floor is cleaned.
Maintenance Oil Application With Rubio Monocoat (RMC) Universal Maintenance Oil 2 Mix
- Vacuum the floor thoroughly.
- Remove stains where possible with Rubio Monocoat Tannin, Limespot and Grease Removers.
- Wash the floor with RMC Natural Wood Cleaner or Universal Soap and allow the floor to dry completely. If the floor is still dirty once dry wash again and allow to dry.
- Select the RMC Universal Maintenance Oil 2 Mix colour that complements the colour oil of your floor. Add the colour oil to the maintenance oil and shake well to mix.
- Pour a very small amount directly onto the floor. Remember 0.5 litres can cover up to 100m2.
- Always Test a small area first as maintenance oil will enhance the colour of the surface. Pure oil has a golden hue which can discolour light coloured floors. Use our colour chart below or contact our team for advice on which colour to use.
- Work methodically from one side of a room to an exit working in small reachable areas of 2 – 4 m2.
- Using an applicator attach an RMC red buffing pad and spread the oil working it into the wood grain.
- Then attach an RMC white buffing pad to work it into the surface removing the excess.
- Use an RMC Green pad or lint free cloth to wipe off any excess oil before proceeding to the next area and within 15 minutes.
- Reuse the pads until they become too saturated to remove excess oil, then replace for new pads.
- The finished floor will have a sheen that will leave a similar sheen on your finger when touched. The surface should not be wet with oil.
- The floor should be dry enough for light use after 6 – 8 hours.
- Ensure the room is well-ventilated.
- Spills should be wiped up with a damp cloth and washing should be avoided over the next 48 hours.
- Thereafter the floor may be cleaned with a damp cloth or mop pad and will be fully cured within 7 days where upon full cleaning can be carried out with appropriate pH neutral cleaner as required.
Any cloths, rags or paper used in oil application should put in water for 12 hours before disposal or reuse to avoid spontaneous combustion while the oil cures. Please check packaging for details.
Recommended Maintenance Oil Products:
– Rubio Monocoat Universal Maintenance Oil 2 Mix
– Rubio Monocoat Floor Care Kit